Legalistic Resistance to Russian Aggression
Russia`s forcible annexation of the Crimea, weapon employment against Ukraine, the smuggling in armed bands and military units – all these actions are regarded as acts of aggression against Ukraine and crimes against peace and security that breach basic international law.
The aggression countermeasures should include:
- de jure recognition of the aggression;
- international legal counteractions against the aggressor;
- damage assessment;
- national legal counteractions against the aggressor.
The counteractions taken by both Ukraine and international community should aim at:
- terminating the aggression against Ukraine;
- receiving aggression non-repetition guarantees;
- receiving full compensation for the damage (both non-economic, human and financial losses, including expectation losses) caused;
- bringing individuals guilty of aggression to criminal and other types of liability.
Having analyzed the current situation, the author arrives at the conclusion that a consolidated strategy and a detailed action plan designed to reinforce the anti-aggression activities of Ukraine`s government, business, NGOs, and other institutions seeking indemnity, must be drafted and brought up for public discussion ASAP.
Source: www.gazeta.zn.ua, Aleksandr Chaliy, Aleksandr Malinovskiy